Monday, April 16, 2007

Worst. Day. Ever.

OK, not as bad as major national tragedies. But close. I got perhaps four hours of solid sleep, because the walls in my bedroom were HUMMING from the 60-70 MPH winds we're currently having in New England. I nearly tripped going down the stairs this morning. It was the most miserable, cold, wet, horrid weather. I missed not one but *two* trains this morning. When I got to work the doors were locked (I did get a french toast finagle-a-bagel with cream cheese, and that was yummy). But all those horrors were nothing compared to working in a legal firm.

Never in my life have I been so sure I never, ever wanted to return to a field of work. My hands ache from all the stupid things I had to type today - legal documents, six-page, *handwritten* documents on yellow legal paper, and all. Day. Long. I've never typed so much, or been so confused, in all my life. I called the temp agency and told them I didn't want the assignment, and they've arranged for someone to come in and train with me tomorrow, so I only have to work there for one more day. And I think I can handle that.

It was just. Horrible. I hated it. I didn't understand the language, I didn't understand how the documents needed to be formatted, I couldn't read their handwriting - I say "their", but it was really only one of the two lawyers who was awful - it was just an awful experience, and I'm SO glad it's over. I really thought I would burst into tears this afternoon, but I pushed on through.

I felt like singing all the way home when I got confirmation that I only needed to be there one more day. Rock! :) I called and cancelled my audition tonight for the improv troupe - I hated to do it, but I'm in absolutely no shape whatsoever to go to an audition, and they hold them on a regular basis.

So now I'm home, and don't have to go anywhere, and the winds have died down so perhaps I'll be able to have some sleep tonight. That makes the worst day much, much better.

No comments: